Find what options a precompiled package uses

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Fri Aug 1 14:25:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 10:15:49AM -0400, David Gurvich wrote:
> How does one find the options that a particular package was built with,
> without installing the package?  I don't see any such options in
> pkg_info and wondered if there were some other tool.

You could go to the port in /usr/ports/ and "make patch" which will do
everything right up to building the port. Then browse the sources to see
what has been selected. Sometimes its easier to see the options selected
by watching the port compile. A simple "make" will compile the port but
not install it. A potential problem is that if a build dependency is
missing it will try to build and install that first.

A build dependency is something needed to build the port but not needed
to run the port. Precompiled ports bypass the need for build
dependencies.

Or you could just study the Makefile and supporting files in /usr/ports/
to see what the defaults are for your particular precompiled port.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net