PCI Gigabit Ethernet network interface card (NIC) recommendations

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Fri Aug 1 02:59:19 UTC 2008

David Christensen writes:

>  I would like to add a PCI Gigabit Ethernet network interface card
>  (NIC) to the computer and was wondering what cards other people
>  are using and how they liked them.  Any comments and/or
>  recommendations would be appreciated.

	Realtek-based cards were mentioned; they seem to do well under
light to moderate loads, but not so well when the going gets tough.
	Intel-based cards, on the other hand, have a superior track
record; probably doesn't hurt the driver is maintained by Intel.  I
replaced an re() card with a Pro/1000 dual port, and watched errors
drop from ~1% to _0_ in 11 days of moderate to heavy usage.

			Robert Huff