rmuser failed / cannot readd user

Hartleigh Burton hartleigh.burton at destra.com
Wed Apr 30 01:02:07 UTC 2008

Hi readers!

I am having problems with adding/removing user accounts. This seems to
be related to a problem I was having yesterday (Subject: a monster
stole my /), adding a user when / was at 108% capacity.

I added a user called "mrawebuser", which failed because there was not
enough free space on / at the time. Now when I try to add the user
again it says the user already exists when it doesn't. I have used
rmuser to remove the account and also manually check /etc/passwd, /etc/
master.passwd, & /etc/group - none of these files contain any
reference to "mrawebuser". If I repeat the rmuser command it will find
the user every time.

Basically I would like to start fresh, completely remove this user and
any reference to the account then recreate it.

intranet# adduser -v
Username: mrawebuser
Full name: MRA Web User
Uid (Leave empty for default):
Login group [mrawebuser]:
Login group is mrawebuser. Invite mrawebuser into other groups? []:
Login class [default]:
Shell (sh csh tcsh nologin) [sh]:
Home directory [/home/mrawebuser]:
Use password-based authentication? [yes]:
Use an empty password? (yes/no) [no]:
Use a random password? (yes/no) [no]:
Enter password:
Enter password again:
Lock out the account after creation? [no]:
Username   : mrawebuser
Password   : *****
Full Name  : MRA Web User
Uid        : 1005
Class      :
Groups     : mrawebuser
Home       : /home/mrawebuser
Shell      : /bin/sh
Locked     : no
OK? (yes/no): y
pw: login name `mrawebuser' already exists
adduser: ERROR: There was an error adding user (mrawebuser).
Add another user? (yes/no): n
Goodbye!

intranet# rmuser -v mrawebuser
Matching password entry:

mrawebuser:*:1004:1005::0:0:MRA Web User:/home/mrawebuser:/bin/sh

Is this the entry you wish to remove? y
Remove user's home directory (/home/mrawebuser)? n
Removing crontab for (mrawebuser):.
Removing at(1) jobs owned by (mrawebuser): 0 removed.
Removing IPC mechanisms.
Terminating all processes owned by (mrawebuser): -KILL signal sent to
0 processes.
Removing files owned by (mrawebuser) in /tmp: 0 removed.
Removing files owned by (mrawebuser) in /var/tmp: 0 removed.
Removing mail spool(s) for (mrawebuser):.
Removing user (mrawebuser) from the system:pw: user 'mrawebuser' does
not exist: No such file or directory
  Done.