lagg(4)/vlan(4) on-boot configuration problems

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Tue Apr 29 23:30:23 UTC 2008

I'm trying to get a bonded vlan up using the new lagg driver on 6.3-
RELEASE.  I seem to be having problems with getting the network to
configure at boot time, and I think I've found the reason.

It would appear that order of operations is very important when
configuring a lagg device.  If I do this...

# ifconfig lagg0 create
# ifconfig lagg0 up laggproto failover laggport bce0 laggport bce1
# ifconfig lagg0.811 create
# ifconfig lagg0.811 10.4.11.41/24
# ifconfig bce0 up
# ifconfig bce1 up

... then everything works.   If I do this...

# ifconfig bce0 up
# ifconfig bce1 up
# ifconfig lagg0 create
# ifconfig lagg0 up laggproto failover laggport bce0 laggport bce1
# ifconfig lagg0.811 create
# ifconfig lagg0.811 10.4.11.41/24

... then the lagg0.811 interface is useless, however no errors are
emitted during configuration.

It would appear that /etc/rc.d/netif is probably doing the latter, as
when I try to configure the above interface using rc.conf nothing
works.   This is the relevant rc.conf block I'm using:

cloned_interfaces="lagg0 lagg0.811"
ifconfig_lagg0="up laggproto failover laggport bce0 laggport bce1"
ifconfig_lagg0_811="10.4.11.41/24"
ifconfig_bce0="up"
ifconfig_bce1="up"

Does anyone have suggestions for things I might be doing wrong here,
before I file a bug?

Thanks,
    Matt