FBSD install fails with nforce on asus p5n-e sli. any ideas?

Sdavtaker sdavtaker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 23:14:52 UTC 2008

David Naylor wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2008 07:43:17 you wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Im trying to install 7.0 from boot only CD and having problems detecting
>> the network.
>> The NIS is a nforce integrated to the mother asus P5n-e sli
>> The card is working in DFBSD and windows, I think it worked in Linux
>> too, but need to try it out again to be sure about the last.
>> Dhclient fails, write the config by hand doesnt work neither.
>> Someone had installed 7.0 with this mother?
>> Thanks for any help.
>> Sdav
>>

> Hi,
>
> Is your board based on the nForce 650i chipset?  I have been struggling to get
> this chipset to work with SMP, have you been able to get more than 1 CPU
> working and have access to the hard drives / cd drives?
>
> Try safemode, it may allow you network access.
>
> Good luck
>
> David

Thanks for the info, i had gave it a try and failed.
The network card is detected as nfe0: <NIVIDIA nForce 430 MCP13
Networking Adapter> port 0xf207 mem 0xfe02b000-0xfe02bfff irq 5 at
device 20.0 on pci0
I found another 2 problems now.
When I use the first boot option, i cant make the card get a ip, neither
the HD is detected (SATA).
And when I use safe mode i never boot, it halts tring to mount ufs:root....
the chipset of the mainboard is: NVIDIA® nForce® 650i SLI™
CD drive was detected as atapi.

:-/

Damian