is this hardware supported?

Roberto Nunnari roberto.nunnari at supsi.ch
Tue Apr 29 07:16:39 UTC 2008

Hi.

Here I'm back with a very short report on installing
FreeBSD 6.3/7.0 and others on this mainboard:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2534&ProductName=GA-G33M-DS2R

It's a Gigabyte (model GA-G33M-DS2R) mainboard based on
the Intel G33 + ICH9R Chipset and Intel E8200 processor.

I tried to install FreeBSD 6.3 and 7.0, xen 4.1 and CentOS 5.1

The results are all in favour of FreeBSD :)

FreeBSD:
It installs without any problem both using MB SATA fakeraid
or plain SATA disk. All HW is correctly recognized and in no
more than 5 minutes FreeBSD is fully installed, configured
and up and running on network. No tests on graphics, though.

xen:
Installation fails as it says the system doesn't have a NIC.
After providing the NIC driver during installation, linux
doesn't see the SATA fakeraid, but only the bare disks.

CentOS:
Installation gets to the end and lets a bootable system, but
the system doesn't recognice the NIC nor the SATA fakeraid.
Graphics is correctly configured and Gnome starts up correctly.

Best regards.

Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> Roland,
>
> Thank you for your support. I'll post here the result of
> installing FreeBSD on that HW.
>
> Best regards.
> Robi.
>

> Roland Smith wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 06:45:40PM +0200, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Ok. So what about this?
>>> http://de.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1178&l1=3&l2=11&l3=307
>>>

>>> Has anybody been using it?
>>> With what success?
>>> Can anybody use the embedded RAID controller to make a HW RAID 1
>>> with two SATA disks?
>>
>> According to ata(4), the ICH8 chipset is supported. According to
>> ataraid(4) the jmicron is supported.
>>
>> But if it doesn't work, you can always use gmirror(8).
>>
>>> Is the NIC supported and working well?
>>
>> Hard to say. The spec page you provided doesn't list the type of Realtek
>> chip used. Again, if it doesn't work get a cheap Realtek 8139 card.
>>
>>> Again, I couldn't find any of its chipsets in the 6.3 supported
>>> HW list, so that's why I ask the list.
>>
>> It is better to check the manual pages of drivers.
>>
>>> But in this case I'm a bit muc more confident that FreeBSD 6.3
>>> can run on this HW
>>
>> I recently booted FreeBSD on a system with a intel motherboard with a
>> ICH9 chipset. Everything seemed to work OK.
>>
>> Roland

Robi