a monster stole my /

Hartleigh Burton hartleigh.burton at destra.com
Tue Apr 29 04:52:09 UTC 2008

Hiya!

I have a problem with / currently being at 108% capacity. I have found
a previous thread in the archives which explains a few questions but I
can't find what is taking up all the additional space. At best without
destroying what I still do not understand I can manage to get / to
about 101% capacity.

To answer a couple of potential questions straight up, there is
nothing in /root and /tmp is on a separate partition.

intranet# df -h
Filesystem               Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1a              989M    986M    -76M   108%    /
devfs                    1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/da0s1e              989M    216K    910M     0%    /tmp
/dev/da0s1f               58G    4.8G     48G     9%    /usr
/dev/da0s1d              4.8G    2.2G    2.3G    49%    /var
/dev/da1p1               3.3T    682G    2.4T    22%    /db
devfs                    1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /var/named/dev

intranet# du -h -d1
2.0K	./.snap
1.5K	./dev
218K	./tmp
4.8G	./usr
2.2G	./var
1.7M	./etc
2.0K	./cdrom
2.0K	./dist
1.1M	./bin
  71M	./boot
4.4M	./lib
360K	./libexec
2.0K	./media
512B	./net
2.0K	./proc
3.8M	./rescue
  26K	./root
4.1M	./sbin
512B	./host
682G	./db
689G	.

If I move the old kernel/GENERIC files from /boot I can manage to get
back to 101%, I really have no idea where the rest of the space has
gone though. Is there any way to locate large files on a specific
partition?

I did have a problem not too long ago where my /db array did not mount
and MySQL managed to recreate the default/sample database on /db/
mysql, could this default database be somewhere else on / while the /
db array problem was fixed?

*scratches head*

Hartz.