Ports Question

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Sun Apr 27 13:35:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 01:19:57AM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 04:40:58PM -0400, Grant Peel wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > What is the proper method to pass configure arguments when installing a
> > port?
>
> While you can supply arguments on the command line, it is hard to
> remember.
>
> Therefore I think it is best to set arguments in make.conf. For example;
>
> ---------- make.conf excerpt ----------
> .if ${.CURDIR:M*/graphics/xpdf}
> A4=yes
> .endif
>
> .if ${.CURDIR:M*/mail/mutt-devel}
> WITH_MUTT_SLANG2=yes
> WITHOUT_MUTT_HTML=yes
> WITHOUT_MUTT_XML=yes
> WITHOUT_MUTT_COMPRESSED_FOLDERS=yes
> WITHOUT_NLS=yes
> NOPORTDOCS=yes
> .endif
>
> .if ${.CURDIR:M*/print/cups*}
> CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=true
> .endif
> ---------- make.conf excerpt ----------
>
> The '.if' statement ensures that the variables are only set when make is
> called from the praticular port direction.

I find the portconf method a little easier to manage - installing
ports-mgmt/portconf adds some lines to your make.conf, which allow you
to set options for your ports in a file called /usr/local/etc/ports.conf.

For example,

mail/exim: WITH_MYSQL=1 | WITH_SPF=1

The file is honoured by manual builds, and by the likes of portinstall,
portmaster etc.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye