USB HD based backup schemes

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Sat Apr 26 21:10:03 UTC 2008

On Apr 26, 2008, at 3:38 PM, David N wrote:

> We used to use RSnapshot http://www.rsnapshot.org/ to backup to an
> external disk, its a great tool that also does incremental via hard
> links which is a plus.

Just after I posted, I started thinking about rsync.  I hadn't known
about rsync's hard link feature.

So once I saw that, the trail did lead me to rsnapshot.  The only
thing I don't like about it is the security hole it demands of remote
machines to be able to back up to them.

> so to recover, you have to reinstall the base OS
> and rsync the files back to get it up and running again.

I'd be happy with that.

> It may have problems locking active files, I've never tested it with
> a DB before.

I can also take a DB snapshot before running the dump.

> But since then, we've moved to bacula.

Bacula does look impressive.  I'll probably get there some day.  If I
can deal with the security issue for the remote back-up this will be a
perfect solution.  If I can't I won't do remote back-up on the machine
that is awkward to reach, I'll just have to re-arrange things.

Thanks.

-j