RFC: Article on implementing UFS journaling on desktop PCs
unga888 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 04:06:48 UTC 2008
--- Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> wrote:
> I have just completed an article (mostly how-to) for
> implementing UFS
> journaling on a typical desktop PC:
> It focuses on detailing an easy to follow,
> repeatable procedure, to
> install FreeBSD on a typical PC and enable
> journaling on /usr and
> possibly /var.
> I am using this same procedure on my systems.
> I welcome all feedback, please send me any comments,
> suggestions and
Hope following ideas may help you.
1. Article is too long. You have a note before the
introduction, then "introduction" and "Understanding
journaling in FreeBSD". I appreciate brevity. The
"introduction" and "Understanding journaling in
FreeBSD" would be suffice. and edit them for brevity.
The note before the introduction is good enough as an
2. Ideally have a table of contents.
3. Ideally prerequisites as a separate section.
4. A new section on "How to estimate journal size"
5. Split "Setting up journaling" to sub sections:
- Data and journal in the same partition
- Data and journal in the multiple partitions/disks
6. A new section on how to extend the size of the
journal (if later find too small)
7. Further reading:
- Journaling UFS with gjournal -
- Journaling file system -
- UFS2 Journaling implementation detail -
- FreeBSD/ZFS - Last word in operating/file systems
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ
More information about the freebsd-questions