Even more documentation?

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Sat Apr 26 03:13:07 UTC 2008

On 04/25/2008 21:32, Edward Ruggeri wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've used FreeBSD for about two years now.  Besides using Linux for
> projects on school computers, I never had much experience with
> Unix-like operating systems.  While I get by nicely on FreeBSD, I
> recently felt that I didn't have a very solid understanding of it's
> organization or structure.  I suppose one can't know everything about
> an operating system with as much functionality as FreeBSD, but I
> started to feel like my knowledge was really ad-hoc, and that I didn't
> completely understand what I was doing (as if I had learned only by
> example).
>
> To that end, I started reading the FreeBSD handbook front-to-back.
> I've gotten to Part III, and while it's been very valuable, I still
> feel like I'm learning by example, and not by understanding the
> operating system.  I'm starting to think I'm expecting something out
> of the handbook it's not designed to do.
>
> It seems like the man pages would be a good place to go, but my
> trouble with using them is that they're difficult to put together the
> information on different pages.  I suppose I want something like a
> textbook.  I dream of a K&R type text that is very comprehensive and
> well-organized.

My Vote:
  "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System"

Its not exactly "hot off the press" any more... but still quite a good read.

Can be found here (mind the URL wrap):
http://www.amazon.com/Design-Implementation-FreeBSD-Operating-System/dp/0201702452/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209177819&sr=8-2