Install problem to external usb hard drive
terlingua at texas.usa.com
Thu Apr 24 22:01:46 UTC 2008
If this issue is resolved on another thread, pls direct me to it.
I am trying to install fbsd 7.0 on my laptop connected to a usb external
hard drive. My objective is to leave my internal hd Vista install alone,
booting the external install only. My laptop allows me to hit ESC on
bootup and choose the external drive.
My hardware: pc: laptop hp pavilion dv2315nr, cpu: amd turion64 x2,
internal hd with Vista, dvd/cd, usb external hard drive(not flash) with
primary partition type 165.
My attempts so far:
1. download 7.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso and burned to cd.
2. booted cd fine, install works great.
3. During install, on external usb drve, deleted existing partition and
created a new one type 165.
4. Sliced it up using defaults.
5. Installed the loader, standard to the external drive.
6. Choose minimum install.
7. Completed install.
8. Rebooted, used laptop ESC to boot external drive.
9. Attempt to book external drive results in a fast scrolling screen of
Lines 1-8 the same, except on 5, installed the boot manager.
9. Attempt to boot external drive results in identical fast scrolling
screen of zeros.
1. How do you install fbsd to an external usb hard drive leaving internal
drive untouched? Is this possible?
2. Or if it is impossible, do I need to install the loader on the
internal normally booting hard drive?
Any tips or url's appreciated in advance.
Want an e-mail address like mine?
Get a free e-mail account today at www.mail.com!
More information about the freebsd-questions