Cron question

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Thu Apr 24 20:26:30 UTC 2008

I have recently switched from Linux to FreeBSD for my web server.
Absolutely love it, but am having one difficulty that is driving me
bats...

I wouldn't think that cron would run differently on BSD than Linux,
but it seemingly does. I have a user crontab that runs a PHP script
once a day. This worked effortlessly on the old box.

If I am logged in as the user (gs), I can run the script without
problem just by typing the command line ./script.php, or /full/path/
to/script.php

The trouble comes when I try to run this script with cron. I have
something like this in the gs user crontab:

SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/
local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/gs/bin
HOME=/home/gs
0 15 * * * /home/gs/bin/script.php >>/home/gs/log/script.log

I can see from the cron log that cron runs script.php at the
appointed hour:

	Apr 24 15:00:03 on /usr/sbin/cron[72414]: (gs) CMD (/home/gs/bin/
script.php >>/home/gs/log/script.log)

HOWEVER, absolutely nothing happens as a result. No error message in
any /var/log file, and script.log is not even touched, even though
the script is quite verbose and logs a bunch of stuff when it runs.

It is as if the script was never run. I have looked at this every
which way, but it doesn't make any sense to me. There are other
scripts in the same crontab that run without problem.

I have tried changing the crontab to:

0 15 * * * /usr/local/bin/php /home/gs/bin/script.php >>/home/gs/log/
script.log

But that has no effect.

So, the question is, how can a script that runs perfectly when
executed by user gs from the command line, not work at all when run
as user gs's crontab? Not even generate an error message or log
entry? What is different in the user crontab runtime environment?

Any insight much appreciated.

Brgds: John

[gs at on ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD on.identry.com 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #1: Mon
Dec  3 09:46:53 EST 2007     root at on.identry.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
INET_ON  amd64

[gs at on ~]$ which php
/usr/local/bin/php