wine: notepad OK, others not

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Wed Apr 23 06:20:16 UTC 2008

> If I were you I'd just try to install Visio under Wine and see how
> it goes. That is, mount the install cd, check with winecfg that
> Wine can see the mount point as a drive D: or something and then
> run "wine d:\\setup.exe" ...

It did not work at all.  This version of Visio is old enough that
it installs from floppies, rather than from CD :) and I've set it
up in .wine/dosdevices according to the manpage:

  $ ls -la .wine/dosdevices
  total 4
  drwxr-xr-x  2 perryh  staff  512 Apr 21 00:17 .
  drwxr-xr-x  4 perryh  staff  512 Apr 22 21:07 ..
  lrwxr-xr-x  1 perryh  staff    8 Apr 21 00:17 a:: -> /dev/fd0
  lrwxr-xr-x  1 perryh  staff   10 Apr 19 16:39 c: -> ../drive_c
  lrwxr-xr-x  1 perryh  staff    1 Apr 19 16:39 z: -> /

mdir can read the disk, and it does contain a setup.exe, but
wine can't see it:

  $ wine a:setup.exe
  wine: cannot find 'a:setup.exe'
  $ wine 'a:\setup.exe'
  wine: cannot find 'a:\setup.exe'

There doesn't seem to be a manpage for winecfg:

  $ man winecfg
  No manual entry for winecfg

and when I tried to run it it was not at all obvious what to do.