Question regarding Broadcom BCM5906M support under FreeBSD7

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Apr 21 16:32:58 UTC 2008

--On Monday, April 21, 2008 4:44 AM -0300 Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> While investigating about the Vostro 1400 .. I came across a lspci that
> claims  that the Vostro 1400 comes packed with a Broadcom Corporation
> NetLink  BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02) Ethernet controller
>
> in case you want to check it out:
>
> I moved quickly moved to
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/hardware.html#ETHERNET in order to
> find  out whether FreeBSD7 had support for BCM5906M chipsets but couldn't
> find it  on the list of supported ethernet chipsets
> (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/hardware.html#ETHERNET) so I
> assumed  the answer was: no.
>
> I moved to the OpenBSD page in order to see if they had a module for it
> and  found out that they actually do for their next release (may 1 2008):
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/43.html
> - The bge(4) driver now supports BCM5906/BCM5906M 10/100 and BCM5755
> 10/100/Gigabit Ethernet devices.
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=bge&sektion=4
>
> So i was wondering, is the Broadcom BCM5906M driver already available in
> FreeBSD 7 (but not documented), or is it on the way of getting imported
> from  Open or anything, or does anybody have any info regarding support
> for  Broadcom BCM5906M  based ethernet cards on FreeBSD7?
>
> Last thing I knew about that was that there was a patch taken from
> DragonFly  code (Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:19:23 GMT, Number: 118975,
> Severity:	 non-critical (????????),  State: open ) .. anyone knows
> anything else about  that? It seems it's still not supported :(
>
> Any info will be greatly appreciated

Looking at the header file in HEAD, the highest number card supported is
the 5787.  It doesn't look like there's support for that card yet.

<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/bge/if_bgereg.h?rev=1.73.2.1;content-type=text%2Fplain>

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas