wine: notepad OK, others not

Tijl Coosemans tijl at ulyssis.org
Sun Apr 20 11:59:48 UTC 2008

On Sunday 20 April 2008 03:35:59 perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
>>>  I have installed wine-0.9.20 from ports, and
>>>  there's a Win98 FAT32 slice mounted on /windoze
>>
>> 	<deletia>
>>
>>>  How do I fix this?
>>
>> I would start by upgrading and re-installing wine.  You have 0.9.20;
>> the current version is 0.9.55 and I believe there have been
>> substantial improvements.
>
> When I updated my ports, the newer wine refused to install on 6.1,
> saying it wouldn't work properly on anything prior to 6.3 IIRC.
>
> Rather than risk breaking my primary system in an upgrade attempt, I
> installed 7.0-RELEASE and wine-0.9.48 (the version from the
> 7.0-RELEASE ports) on a different machine.  It happened to have XP,
> so I'm now trying to run XP .exe's instead of win98 .exe's.
>
> Notepad and Write are, if anything, worse than before:  now, if I
> just start typing without selecting a font, I get something that
> looks more or less like dingbats.  They do seem to work if I
> explicitly select Courier.  (The ultimate goal is to run Visio, not
> to do word processing, but I'm trying to start with something
> simple.)
>
> The problem with wordpad has not changed very much:
>
>   $ wine "/winxp/Program Files/Windows NT/Accessories/wordpad.exe"
>   err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\winxp\\Program Files\\Windows NT\\Accessories\\wordpad.exe") not found
>   err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\winxp\\Program Files\\Windows NT\\Accessories\\wordpad.exe" failed, status c0000135

Wine is not meant to work that way. You should see Wine as a separate
Windows. If you want to run applications under Wine either install them
under Wine or (with simple applications) copy them over from a Windows
install into ~/.wine/drive_c.

> OK, it doesn't know where to find the DLLs.  Try making a symlink to
> a place which (per the manpage) is always searched:
>
>   $ ls -l /winxp/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/mfc42u.dll
>   -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  995384 Aug 23  2001 /winxp/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/mfc42u.dll
>   $ ln -s /winxp/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/mfc42u.dll /usr/local/lib/wine
>   $ wine "/winxp/Program Files/Windows NT/Accessories/wordpad.exe"
>   err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\winxp\\Program Files\\Windows NT\\Accessories\\wordpad.exe") not found
>   err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\winxp\\Program Files\\Windows NT\\Accessories\\wordpad.exe" failed, status c0000135

/usr/local/lib/wine is only for Wine built-in DLLs I think. You could
try putting the symlink or copying the DLL into
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32, but again it is not recommended to
run applications directly from an existing Windows install.

If I were you I'd just try to install Visio under Wine and see how it
goes. That is, mount the install cd, check with winecfg that Wine can
see the mount point as a drive D: or something and then run "wine
d:\\setup.exe". On appdb.winehq.org there's probably more information
to get Visio working.