FreeBSD network problem.

Peter Ankerstål peter at pean.org
Sat Apr 19 11:36:31 UTC 2008

I have such a strange problem I cant even guess whats worng.

Im running FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE amd64 and zfs.

When the machine starts everything works fine but after a while (the
only thing I noticed, when the free memory drops below 1700MB)
it starts to behave VERY strange when serving web-pages (running
apache22). It has no problem serving html-pages but css and images
doesnt work. The http-log reports 200 OK and tcpdump shows the whole
css-code sent out on the interface. But the browser/telnet just sits
there waiting for data. Sometimes we even get HTTP-requests inside the
css-file from another machine to another server. (see picture)
http://jf.jail.se/tmp/css.png

When I reboot the machine everything works fine again but after a
while this appears again. using lynx is no problem at all. or telnet and
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: blabla

this gives the correct data, but GET /style.css HTTP/1.1 gives
nothing, just waiting for data. Other protocols like ftp, ssh, smtp,
imap seems to
work fine. And sometimes it seems like it works fine UNTIL you do
"shift+reload" until that the sites works fine.

of course I figured that this must be a problem between the server and
myself but since a reboot fixes the problem for a certain amout of time
that could (maybe) not be the case. I really need some ideas on this..