How can I access video tape under FBSD?

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Thu Apr 17 11:54:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 20:28 +0200, Frank Wißmann wrote:
> Hi, folks!
> I have bought for myself a taperecorder-to-usb-connector, which I wrote
> in /etc/usbd.conf as following:
> Device  "Video tape"
> Product "0x2821"
> Vendor  "0xeb1a"
>
> Now I want to move all of my archived video tapes to harddisk/DVD. How
> can I perform this, that means how can I access my tape recorder, put
> the files onto HD and view it, meaning what kind of program is capable
> of doing so? Mplayer would be fine because I have it just installed>

A couple of ways to do this- depends on space and quality required. If
you have space and want quality, capture the data raw from the tuner and
then use mencoder to convert to mpeg/divx/whatever(30-40Gb+ 3hr tape).
If space is at a premium, or quality is not as important, then use
ffmpeg and convert on the fly. Need a fairly new cpu, plenty of RAM.

This all very general, but good luck...