How to switch scheduler on 7.0?

D Hill d.hill at yournetplus.com
Wed Apr 16 04:31:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 at 21:59 +0200, daniel.tourde at spray.se confabulated:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to switch scheduler on my FreeBSD 7.0 box but I don't know how to
> do that. The scheduler by default has terrible performances under KDE/Gnome
> and I would like to test the new one.

In light of your message, I was provoked to switched my workstation at
work to using the sched_ule thread scheduler. I do not have remote access
set up via a graphical interface, so I can not test anything yet as far as
KDE is concerned. However, I have noticed a performance increase with an
ssh session into my workstation. Whether this is psychological or not, I
doubt as I have become sensitive over the years to network speed.

I am running on a dual Pentium III system:

   duane# grep CPU /var/run/dmesg.boot
   CPU: Intel Pentium III (999.67-MHz 686-class CPU)
   FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs

Nothing else has been altered from default settings as far as any make
files or anything else. This was a complete install from scratch.

-d