determining what's in the base system

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Apr 16 00:03:00 UTC 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
> I have two questions.  First:
>
> Assume you have a FreeBSD system installed that has been running for
> at
> least a year, with a bunch of graphical desktop and productivity
> software
> installed, and have both installed and uninstalled a lot of software
> over
> that time.  Now imagine that you want to know whether a given
> utility was
> something that came with the base system or was installed by some
> port or
> package later on.  What's the easiest way to do that (preferably
> without
> installing the FreeBSD base system on a computer and checking
> whether the
> utility is present)?

Run "pkg_which" on the name of the file, and it will tell you which
port that file comes from.  Otherwise, the file is part of the base
system, or created by a user.

> Second:
>
> Where can I get a list of all licenses on all software in the base
> system?  I know there's at least the BSD License, the GPL, and the
> LGPL,
> but I'm a little hazy on what else is in there.

There are dozens of variants of the BSD License, and the closely
related Zlib/PNG license; there are also MIT, GPL, LGPL, a bit of
Sun's SISSL or CDDL, and probably other licenses present.  A decent
starting point is:

% locate LICENSE
[ ... ]
/usr/src/contrib/bzip2/LICENSE
/usr/src/contrib/groff/LICENSE
/usr/src/contrib/ipfilter/perl/LICENSE
/usr/src/contrib/less/LICENSE
/usr/src/contrib/libpcap/LICENSE
/usr/src/contrib/nvi/LICENSE
/usr/src/contrib/openbsm/LICENSE
/usr/src/contrib/openpam/LICENSE
/usr/src/contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/LICENSE
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/LICENSE
/usr/src/contrib/tcpdump/LICENSE
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/LICENSE
/usr/src/lib/libc/rpc/LICENSE