Printer getting attached to umass and da

Steven Friedrich freebsd at insightbb.com
Tue Apr 15 23:33:10 UTC 2008

On Saturday 12 April 2008 07:17:31 pm Da Rock wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 18:33 -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:

> > > Remove the umass driver from the kernel (you have to recompile) and
> > > then configure printer. Then load
> > > umass driver after the boot with kldload utility since otherwise you
> > > will not be able to use Floppy disk and USB sticks
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Predrag
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion, but after removing the umass driver, the
> > printer still dosen't work.
> > I did verify with usbdevs -dv that umass is not attached to the printer
> > anymore...
>
> I'd say you better find a way to get that Epson backend installed- not
> much else is going to make a difference here.

I've got good news and bad news...

The good news is that the gutenprint folks confirm that the backends have been
dropped and it should work without them.

The bad news is that it still doesn't work.

I've been communicating with a couple people and I have discovered that the
escputil utility will perform a nozzle pattern test and it will identify the
printer, if you use the -u switch to tell escputil that the printer is newer
than a Stylus 740.

Even with this minor success, it still won't print from Kate...