glXIsDirect failed

Alain G. Fabry alainfabry at belgacom.net
Tue Apr 15 17:01:47 UTC 2008

Hi,

Running 7.0-RELEASE #0, trying to get 3ddesktop to work, but whenever I launch "3ddesk --kde3", I get the following error.

3ddeskd: glXIsDirect failed, no Direct Rendering possible!
3ddeskd: Please configure hardware acceleration.  Exiting.

What could be causing this?

xorg.conf module section
--------
Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "GLcore"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

xorg log indicates GLX and DRI to be loaded
--------
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(==) AIGLX disabled
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "xtrap"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libxtrap.so
(II) Module xtrap: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Server Extension
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(II) Loading extension DEC-XTRAP
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI

Tried to run the glxinfo command to verify direct rendering = yes, but glxinfo is nowhere to be found.....could this be related to the problem?

Also tried to kldload drm.ko, since I'm not sure this is needed. But it didn't change anything.

Thanks,

Alain