Slow performance as root over SSH?

Edward Ruggeri smallhand at crawblog.com
Mon Apr 14 16:32:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Edward Ruggeri wrote:
> > Recently, I figured to do this with portupgrade.  Now, I don't allow
> > root login, so I log in as a user in the wheel group and use su.  Now,
> > as root, I run: dtach -A portupgrade -a.  It starts working, but
> > extremely slowly.  For instance, "portsnap fetch update" takes several
> > minutes, whereas it normally is blazing fast when performed locally.
> > I can still detach, exit root, and close the SSH tunnel.  I suppose
> > this is probably a dtach performance issue?
> >

>  Likely unrelated to either.  There is nothing that would make root perform
> any differently than other users, and dtach only affects the terminal
> handling and not any other aspect of the system.
>
>  Kris

Thanks Kris!

Well, that's what I would have expected.  But then what explains the
difference in performance?  The only other difference I can imagine is
that I am logging in with a wheel account and using su, rather than
logging in as root.  Being something of a novice still, could that be
the issue?

Sincerely,

-- Ned Ruggeri