Limiting apache's upload speed?

Patsy freebsd at ethernull.org
Sun Apr 13 10:58:51 UTC 2008

Hello list,

I am running FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE (GENERIC), I am running Apache 2.2.6_2
and hosting a small website with a few relatively small (500kB-900kB)
photographs. I am doing so from a home ADSL connection in the UK and so
I am estimating my upload capacity at 500kb/s.

When I have apache enabled and serving the web page it seems to disrupt
my other network programs - on my main computer (running Debian etch)
Wengophone stutters and my browser slows down noticeably. When apache is
disabled these problems disappear.

I do not wish to take my website down and so I was hoping somebody would
be able to tell me if it is possible to throttle apache's upload speed.
It seems that this would provide a good solution - people will need to
wait a little longer to see my page, but a change of waiting 3 seconds
to waiting 6 seconds isn't terrible.

My router does not appear to have the option to throttle individual
hosts/ports. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated.

Patsy