spamassassin and amavisd with stock sendmail

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Fri Apr 11 20:49:33 UTC 2008

At 12:12 PM 4/11/2008, Eric Melville wrote:
>I've got a very plain and standard sendmail configuration running on a
>machine as a primary mail exchanger. After years of running without any
>kind of automated spam filtering, it's just gotten too poor and I have
>to turn to rejecting mail.
>
>I installed the spamassassin and new-amavisd port, set the basic
>configuration options, turned them on, and it doesn't seem to do anything.
>My "test" has been to tell it to tag messages even with a threshold of
>zero, and nothing is ever tagged.
>
>Has anyone got a walk through or good document on getting these tools
>running on FreeBSD with the system's base sendmail installation? I've
>tried web searching and my usual FreeBSD documentation sites with no
>luck so far.

I use sendmail with clam for av and spamassasin.  You should also have
mailscanner installed as well.

You need to make setting changes in your MailScanner.conf  file located in
/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/

In this file are setting for how spam is dealt with.
Look for the setting:
High Scoring Spam Actions =

You will probably want to set that to delete.

Also go through all the setting in this file.

Once you have mailscanner running you should see subjects changed and also
a footer added to each email.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.