zfs list and non-root user

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Fri Apr 11 18:41:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008, at 15:13:16 +0200, Norman Maurer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is it normal that I can't do a 'zfs list' ( for example ) as non-root
> user ?
>
> $ zfs list
> internal error: failed to initialize ZFS library
>
> I think there is really a use case for use some zfs commands as
> non-root user..
>
> Thx
> Norman

Hi.

One way to do this as a non-root user is to add the account to the
"operator" group. This is what I do on my personal desktop machine
and it has worked fine, but I understand that may not be best in all
cases.

You might also try changing the permissions on /dev/zfs. I don't do
this method and I'm not sure if it's a proper way, but from trying it
very briefly it seems to work correctly with the user not in the
"operator" group.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)