Invoking ldconfig without arguments wipes all hints and makes me very sad

Shelby Cain scain at exgenesis.com
Thu Apr 10 21:44:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 23:09 +0200, Mel wrote:

> First of all, running ldconfig without arguments does nothing bad. Running
> ldconfig without flags and with arguments does.
>
> Secondly, what is the command:
> ldconfig /usr/lib
>
> supposed to do, according to newbie friendly logic?
> Because it should be possible to "just have the linker create hints for one
> directory".

Your example seems perfectly reasonable should one wish to create hints
for only one directory.

However, in my particular case it seems that my blunder of running
ldconfig -v (and not ldconfig by itself as I had assumed - my bad) is
sufficient to render it impossible to log in as my regular user account
since I had set my default login shell to bash.  That, in conjunction
with root being disallowed by default in sshd effectively locked me out
of my machine once I closed my only open ssh session.

Modifying my original suggestion slightly, is there any reason why it
would be a bad thing for ldconfig to assume -r when either -v with no
other arguments (or no arguments at all) is passed to ldconfig or is
there some specific reason for the current behavior?

Regards,

Shelby Cain