Solved partly

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Apr 4 18:20:19 UTC 2008

Frank Wißmann wrote:
>> Hi all!
>> Hope there's somebody out there who can help me with the following
>> problem:
>> When I type "startx" as root all is coming up as expected, the
>> X-Server and twm as WM. When I stop it, log in as a normal user and do
>> the same there is only a grey screen with a mouse-cursor coming up and
>> doing nothing until I kill the X-Server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. On
>> the original screen from which I tried to start is shown the following
>> error message:
>>
>> AUDIT: Thu Apr 3 20:34:48 2008 836 X: client 1 rejected from localhost
>> (uid 1001)
>> Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
>> Xlib: connection to "0:0" refused by server
>> Xlib: Protocol not supported by server
>>
>> .xinitrc and .xsession both have the same contens "exec startxfce4"
>> and the permissions "rwxr-xr-x".
>>
>> Any thoughts please?
>>
>> TIA Frank
>>

> To your information:
>
> I just tried out of despair something weird and started my X-Server by
> the /etc/ttys-file and a reboot. Logging iin as root worked as it did
> before but to my astonishment it worked logging in as a user too. So I
> now have a working Xfce environment on my other machine too. There is no
> need to think about it anymore. I'm just curious why it didn't work the
> other way round.
> So, happy weekend for all of you and a big "Thank you" to all who let
> work their mind to help me.

Did you install X setuid root?  If you're using xdm(1) or one of the other
similar display managers that are started out of ttys(5) then X is started
by a root process anyhow, and doesn't need to be setuid.  If you intend to
use startx(1) then X needs to be setuid for mortal users to be able to start
it.

To change the setting:

    make config

in /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server and then reinstall the xorg-server
port.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3