FreeBSD 7.0 jail and Samba 3

Nejc Škoberne nejc at skoberne.net
Thu Apr 3 21:27:27 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am trying to get latest Samba running under FreeBSD 7.0 jail environment. I happen
to have problems with "visibility" of the Samba server on the network - I cannot connect
to it using its NetBIOS name. To be able to run nmbd, I have to use the "interfaces"
parameter in smb.conf like this:

         interfaces = 192.168.1.2/24 127.0.0.1

If I don't set this, nmbd fails to run (it says it cannot find interfaces). However, if
I try the identical configuration on a "non-jailed" Samba (on a FreeBSD 6.2 though) it
runs seamlessly - I can connect to it from another box by running "smbclient //server/share".

Is there any way to make NetBIOS work for jailed Samba server on FreeBSD 7.0?

Thanks,
Nejc