trying atausb instead of umass, part 2

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Thu Apr 3 16:40:42 UTC 2008

[ no replies from -drivers, so added -questions ]

> FreeBSD 7.0 amd64
>
> Deleted device umass and added atausb instead.
>
> The bridge shows up, but the disk does not. (sata hard drive,
> not a CD/DVD drive)
> atausb0: <JMicron USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2> on uhub1
>
> The kernel moved the chipset-connected SATA drives from ad4,6,8,10 to ad6,8,10,12
> despite:
> options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering
>
> Should I expect the USB disk to show up as ad* or is there some
> other device name I need to add to the config file?  Is there
> anything else I need to change in the config file besides comment
> out umass and add atausb?
>
> How do I get (non-USB) device names to really stay put?

It looks like the device numbers moved because the controller numbers moved.

# dmesg | grep atausb
atausb0: <JMicron USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2> on uhub1
atausb0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
ata2: <USB lun 0> on atausb0

without atausb:
ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci1

In NetBSD, I can lock things down with:

	sd0  at scsibus0 target  0 lun 0
	sd1  at scsibus0 target  1 lun 0
	sd2  at scsibus0 target  2 lun 0
	sd3  at scsibus0 target  3 lun 0

	atabus0 at satalink0
	atabus1 at satalink0

	wd0     at      atabus0 drive 0 flags 0x0000
	wd1     at      atabus1 drive 0 flags 0x0000

but FreeBSD's config doesn't accept this, or perhaps I haven't
found the correct syntax.  I haven't found anything like this
in FreeBSD's config documentation.

Is there something like
	options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering
to lock down controller numbers?

-----

# dmesg | grep ata2
ata2: <USB lun 0> on atausb0