F_NOTIFY in fcntl(2)?

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Thu Apr 3 14:12:03 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008 12:25:55 John Conover wrote:
> Does freebsd support the F_NOTIFY, (i.e., File and directory change
> notification,) in fcntl(2)?
>
> I get that it doesn't, but its an old 5X version, and I might have to
> upgrade.

Nope, this is a GNU extension to fcntl. File change notifications are done
with EVFILT_VNODE using kqueue(2). Directory changes have no interface that I
know of. You might wanna take a look at how devel/gamin handles this,
specifically the kqueue implementation.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.