FreeBSD Traffic Shaping

freebsd at top-consulting.net freebsd at top-consulting.net
Wed Apr 2 12:21:41 UTC 2008

I think you guys went a bit on a tangent here. What I am trying to do
is limit the outbound bandwidth of my services and this should be
perfectly possible as I control the output.

Also, the reason for this need is that some services use
burst-bandwidth and I have many peaks and lows throughout the day.
This means that my carrier who bills me by the 95th percentile is
having a field day. For the services that my server offers it's not
imperative that they get rid of the client in 1 second instead of 5
for example. In this sense, stretching out 1MB of traffic over 10
seconds is more beneficial towards my 95th than if I stretch it over 2
seconds for example.