what cpu type to use for a intel duo e6850 (i386 or amd64)

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 23:55:17 PDT 2007

On 9/29/07, RW <mlt01 at mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:03:05 +0000
> "Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have more then 4gb and was wondering why it didn't all show up....
> > is there anyway to do a in place upgrade (I have a lot of user
> > data)... also someone should think about changing the naming on the
> > iso/cpu types since 20 years of industry experience (15 with FreeBSD)
> > and reading hardware.txt did not give a clue on this.
>
> What's confusing?
>
> i386 is for 386 compatible processors - a 32-bit OS for 32-bit
> processors, which is therefore limited to 2^32 bytes (4GiB) without the
> PAE workaround.
>
> amd64 is for AMD 64 compatible processors operated in 64-bit mode.

First of all there are several possible 64 bit intel like processors
to choose from for example unless one reads carefully ia64 looks like
what you want.  Second of all in many peoples minds (including mine)
we are used to there being subtle diffs between AMD and intel for the
same class of processor thus would naturally think if it was lableb
amd64 it is for Advanced Micro Devices processors only... a better
name would be 64bit_x86 or something like that

--Aryeh