want to install free bsd

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sat Sep 29 06:17:08 PDT 2007

Brian Guest wrote:
> Dear questions at FreeBSD
>
>   I would like to install freebsd 6.2 or 6.0 on my pentium three PC computer.
>   At this moment my pentium three computer has XP installed on it i do not know
>   which files from the freebsd website to download and write to a CDRW orCDR
>   could you direct me to the wright files and walk me through the process of installing
>   free bsd
>
>   thank you
>   brn_gst

Look at this list to find a mirror near your location, you will get a
better download speed:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html

Download the i386 version iso image:

6.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

Burn it on CD using the "Create CD from ISO image" or similar option on
your windows CD recording program.
Adjust your BIOS to boot from CD, then reboot

Read and follow the FreeBSD handbook carefully, particularly the
installation chapter:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

If you have no previous Unix or Linux experience, be patient and
prepared to learn a lot of new stuff.

Manolis