url encoding a string with base system tools

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Sep 28 23:16:10 PDT 2007

In the last episode (Sep 29), Aryeh Friedman said:
> I am creating a new port and part of the install procedure is the
> install script needs to send some data to a web server in the form of
> http://.....?XXXXX where XXX is the url encoded plain text (can
> include any ascii printable character) that needs to be sent.
>
> Since this for a port I want to do the plain to url encoded text with
> tools *ONLY* found in the base freebsd install (no ports).  How would
> I do this?

A google search for "url encode sed" returns some useful links, the
best being

http://www.mollerus.net/tom/blog/2007/06/cf_through_a_commandline_interface_part_2_programm.html

although I see there are two entries for tab, one just having a space,
so you'll definitely want to test it out.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com