Any advice for a Partition Plan for a multi-jailed Server?

Aliya Harbouri aliyaharbouri at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 13:20:23 PDT 2007

Hi!

I'm setting up a jailed server. I'm hoping to eventually use
sysutils/ezjail to deaden the pain a bit!

First step, have to get the disks partitioned! They're unpacked, at least ;-)

I've read lots of comments like,

  "You should never setup your FreeBSD systems the way Linux or other
*nix's set them up."

So, I'm looking for some Wisdom on how best to partition for the usage
I'm planning.

The server's goal state is 4 jails, plus the non-jailed host:

jail-1: DNS services {Bind9 & RBLDNSD}
jail-2: WebServer    {Apache 22x + PHP5 + Perl 588 + MySQL 50x}
jail-3: mail server  {Exim 468 + Spamassassin + ClamAV, etc.}
jail-4: an analysis/monitoring toolkit {Snort, Nagios, Nessus, etc.}

I've got two identical 250 GB SATA2 drives available for this box.

Although I have not yet grokked the whole "What's in a jail's dirs?"
issue, my initial stab at 'slices' is ~:

	drive 2:
		/    	2GB
		/boot	2GB
		/tmp	2GB
		/swap	16GB	Machine has 8GB RAM, so swap = 2X RAM
		/usr	50GB
		/jails	178GB

	drive 2:
		/var	100GB
		/data	100GB	MailStore, DBs, www source files, etc.
		/home	20GB

I'll betcha some of that's silly or wasteful.

Any insighful comments or better advice on this ^^ would make me a happy gal :-)

Thanks a lot!

Ali