sed question...

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Sep 25 11:28:58 PDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:38:50PM +0300, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2007 19:58, Gary Kline wrote:
> >	But trying to parse this from man sed is more than
> > 	difficule.  And I have yet to find "ba" in the man page.  That is
> > 	why I asked for some insights rather that to be told to "go read
> > 	the man page"; to me, that's dismissing the issue rather than
> > 	addressing it.
>
> Hm, my suggestion was wrong... sed is a bit cryptic to learn from the
> manual page. The manual can be used as a reference, if you alread know
> sed.
>
> So, ba is:
> branch to the a label
> for example:
> my_label:
> bmy_label

	Thank you!  This will help me de-code that sed one-liner that was
	evidently written by a sedexpert. The linux pages help further,
	but I've found some soild tutorials.

> My points are:
> If you want to learn sed, you have to invest some time.
> If you want to ask for an one-liner that does what you want,
> that's fine too.
>
> sed isn't only s/foo/bar/. There is a dc(1) clone in sed,
> which is at least an amazing accomplishment for sed. You
> might want (or not) to learn more things about it.
>
> > 	Right.  I always do a perl -pi.bak [...] mostly out of habit.
> > 	With sed, redirection saved the new output, leaving the original
> > 	in ``.''  FWIW, I was using the sed on my Ubuntu server.  It is
> > 	different from the BSD sed that I've used now/then since 1978.
>
> I think this version of sed is different too, since it's part
> of BSD since 4.4BSD. It may be compatible with the older BSD
> one. The in-place replacement is a non-standard extension which
> both BSD and GNU sed share.

	The last time I used sed seriously was in the early 80's; then
	there was only redirection :-)  much obliged for your tips.  I've
	got to write a shell/sed script to edit the rest of this stuff.
	Time to invest!!

	gary

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix