Help I borke my 7.0 AMD64

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Sep 24 19:47:28 PDT 2007

> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:44:33 +0300
> From: "Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri" <almarrie at gmail.com>
>
> On 9/25/07, Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 24 September 2007 22:47:59 Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:
> >
> > > Could you please put it somewhere where so that I could fetch it?
> >
> > Probably the safest way:
> > pkg_add -r gcc-4.2.2_20070905.tbz
> >
> > Then set CC and CXX in /etc/make.conf to point to the installed gcc
> > in /usr/local. This should get you through the build-tools stage. If it
> > creates issues later on, you should have a libgcc_* in /usr/obj. In fact, I
> > highly recommend pressing ctrl-c after gcc has been built and copy the
> > missing library from /usr/obj to /usr/lib then unset CC and CXX
> > in /etc/make.conf and re-run buildworld.
> >
> > I just looked on freebsd ftp servers, there's a package for amd64 arch and
> > 7-current dated Sep 15.
> > --
> > Mel
>
> Hello,
>
> I installed that.
>
> And it did the trick.
>
> I just don't want to take the risk now.
>
> I did these steps
>
> rm -r /usr/obj/*
> cd /usr/src
> make cleandir
> make cleanworld
> make -j7 buildworld
>
> I'm too worried, I may get broken world now.
>
> Shall I recopy libgcc_* from /obj again and rebuild the world again?
> since current libgcc_* is made by the gcc42 latest port.

If you use gcc 4.2.2 to buildworld, it does a two stage build. It starts
by building the base gcc (4.2.1) withe the default compiler and then
builds it again using the just built compiler. You should be fine if you
define CC as gcc422. It will only be used to build the gcc4.2.1
compiler. Once that is done, the make system will use only the newly
built version.

If you have removed /usr/obj/*, you can speed the build with -DNO_CLEAN.
(There is nothing to clean, but make will still try.) Since there is
nothing to clean, making cleandir and cleanworld looks unnecessary,
too.

Unless you have a 6 core system, -j7 is probably excessive. Both my own
tests and those of others show that having one more build thread than
there are processors seems to be the sweet spot. (I don't recall if
anyone has tested at over 6 cores, though.)

I think I understand the build system, but I am far from a make(1) guru,
so. if I misunderstand any of it, hopefully those who are will chime in
with the right information.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)