Software Lojack

Jerry jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Sep 24 15:34:30 PDT 2007

Hi All,

I am wondering if there is already written (in the ports) some utility
that would either periodically and/or on boot up, take note of if the
machine is connected to the net and if so, send some information to a
configured address giving some basic information such as date/time
and the network address where it is connected.

The intent would be to put this in laptops/notebooks belonging to an
organization/business to track where they were, especially if they
were stolen.   I know, if they got in to the hands of professional
theft ring, the first thing they would do is wipe them, but it could
help track them otherwise.

If there is an existing port, I have no idea what to look for or which
category to look in, so some clue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

////jerry