Update on data corruption with Tyan/3Ware

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Mon Sep 24 14:54:24 PDT 2007

Here's an update on my odd problem.  Thanks to Don B for some hints
that helped us start looking in a better directions.

System is a Tyan Thunder K8SE motherboard with dual Opteron 250
2.4GHz CPUs and a 3Ware 9550SX-4LP PCI Express four port RAID
controller running in RAID 5.  Disks are 4x Seagate 500GB SATA.  4GB
Memory.

Latest BIOS and firmware on mobo and RAID controller.

FreeBSD 6.2 AMD64 with all patches as of 9-21-2007

We've narrowed the problem down to files that are > 4GB.  Anytime we
have a file that's > 4GB, we get inconsistent checksums, can't
uncompress it, etc.  Files < 4GB are fine.

So is this a RAID controller issue?  A filesystem problem?  All hints
appreciated.

--Chris