anyone have a favorite laptop?

Eric Crist mnslinky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 12:01:17 PDT 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 1:00 PMSep 24, 2007, Steve Franks wrote:

> The freebsd laptop page is a nice resource, but it's a bit heavy on
> specifics (i.e. I have a laptop I want to install on), not so good
> generally (want to buy a laptop).  So anyone have realworld advice?
> I'm not against something used in the 1GHz+ range.
>
> <I have a compaq that is %#&*!^$.  The pcmcia will not work, the
> ndiswrapper for the broadcom panics, etc.  So, compaq is right out
> (the've always maintained their poor reputation, no?) - so compaq is
> out.  Seems gateway has an equally bad rap>
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Since it hasn't been mentioned, and it's sorta related, my vote goes
toward the Apple Mac line of notebook computers.  While they're not
running straight FreeBSD, it's pretty darn close.  I haven't been
restricted in what I can do, and all the ACPI/power management stuff
is pretty much guaranteed to work.  I find I've got more time to work
and play, rather than tweaking my laptop so that it runs right, all
the time.

Biggest down side is they're expensive compared to other laptops.

HTH
-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks