Booting to Sysinstall

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Mon Sep 24 08:57:27 PDT 2007

Jerahmy Pocott wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Okay so here is the situation:
> Server has dead fd and cd drives, or maybe none at all. You want to
> install FreeBSD
> on it.
>
> The idea I had was to create a small partition, copy the contents of a
> cd into, set it
> to boot off that partition, reboot and it would boot up into sysinstall.
>
> Would this be possible? Or is it a dumb idea?

The problem with this approach is, you actually need to boot the FreeBSD
kernel to continue with the install. Just by marking a partition as
bootable, will not make it boot, and neither copying the FreeBSD CD
contents will. You have to write a suitable boot sector that will load
the rest of the OS, be it DOS, Windows, FreeBSD or whatever. And the
fact remains, to install FreeBSD you have to boot into the FreeBSD
kernel. After that it would be no problem installing from files on a FAT
partition. It would certainly be a lot less trouble to connect a floppy
drive, boot from it, and continue with your partition based install. In
fact, in your case I would simply remove the disk, place it on another
machine, do a base install, copy the CD contents to a folder, move it
back to the other machine and continue from there. If, in fact, the
machine has fast internet access, the basic setup is all you need.

Manolis