CMS ideas and suggestions

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Mon Sep 24 08:46:52 PDT 2007

Hi!

> Just a quick review of Content Management Systems from
> www.freshports.org, I
> saw and am interested in comments about tikiwiki.  However, I saw
> while
> looking through Content Management Systems at wikipedia, that there
> are many
> open source, freely available CMS programs to be looked at.  From
> this site,
> I've downloaded and am trying phpWebSite.
>
> Anyone with experience with these systems (CMS, not necessarily
> tikiwiki,
> WebGUI or phpWebSite), your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
> Also,
> recommendations as to computer "horse" power necessary for these
> systems
> would also be nice.  We're using, what most small churches would
> probably
> use, an older system that was replaced by a laptop for the
> secretary.  It's
> an AMD Duron 700 mHz w/256 mb of RAM.  I'm not planning on running X
> on this
> system, to conserve resources, but should we look into a beefier
> system at a
> later time?

I'm in a like situation as you, looking for Postgres/PHP based CMS,
and Postgres support is rare in PHP circles... You might want to check
Bitweaver (www.bitweaver.org), which is a more CMS-like branching of
tikiwiki. It looks quite good for the use I'm planning to put it into,
but the burn-in period is still going on.

Xaraya might fit the requirements as well, but cannot remember the
specifics. THen there is of course Drupal (www.drupal.org). At least
Drupal is in the ports.

CMS's tend to be quite big and sluggish, and the more content you
have, the slower they get. Of course the caching schemes etc.
incorporated in several of those help, but even the caches need memory
that is free and preferably not in the hard disk. For a bit of
additional boost, you might consider one of the PHP-accelerators out
there.

-Reko