urgent sendmail question

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Sep 24 07:03:32 PDT 2007

On 2007-09-24 08:34, Duane Winner <dwinner at dwinner.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know if I poked around enough, I could find the answer, but am up
> against the wall here and need a quick solution. I just discovered a
> major problem with my sendmail configurations.
>
> Just recently started consolidating servers by virtual hosting apache,
> several servers on one box. Problem is that the web app sometimes send
> automated emails to users, and now they're getting bounced back because
> the emails are going out with "@fakename.mydomain.org" instead of
> "@mydomain.org".
>
> Since there is no DNS entry for "fakename.mydomain.org", recipient's
> mail servers are rejecting these emails from my servers.
>
> So I have an apache box, "fakename.mydomain.org", hosting 5 virtual
> hosts with unique domain names that do have public dns records.
>
> I need to all outbound mail appear to be coming from "user at mydomain.org"
> or "user at virtualhostdomainname.org", as long as it can be resolved by
> the remote mail server.
>
> My sendmails are configured to listen on 127.0.0.1 only, since I'm using
> to send, not receive.

See my recent posts on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc about rewriting email
addresses for outgoing email:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/msg/db81b1143946d420
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/msg/562dc23fca32c37c

This is _exactly_ what you want to do, and the original poster of that
thread is also running Sendmail on 127.0.0.1 only.