The best way to keep the system clean?

RW mlt01 at mlists.homeunix.com
Mon Sep 24 06:13:23 PDT 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:25:01 +0900
Byung-Hee HWANG <bh at izb.knu.ac.kr> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 20:17 +0800, ronggui wrote:
> > My problem, many times I install some software from ports, it
> > install the dependency software. Then after some time, I find that
> > software isn't what I want, and deinstall it. At this point, the
> > dependency software isn't necessary as well. Is there a way to
> > clean them automatically, like the apt-get autoremove in the Ubuntu
> > system.
> >

> The best way is using -RELEASE anytime. That's enough to me. If I need
> to install/deinstall, I use pkg_add/pkg_delete. It's just my opinion.

That doesn't remove unwanted dependencies, which is what the question
was about.

Try ports-mgmt/pkg_cutleaves or, if  you have portmanager installed
look at the -slid option.

> > And the related general question is, what's the best way to keep my
> > system clean? Thanks.

Another important tool is portsclean (installed with portupgrade),
which cleans-out obsolete distfiles, packages, and build directories.

Also look at the options in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf
and /etc/defaults/rc.conf which contain some useful scripts for
automatically deleting things.