migrate from postfix to qmail

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Mon Sep 24 06:07:09 PDT 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:36:24 -0400 DAve wrote:

> First item, ignore the qmail haters. We run qmail quite successfully and
> find it very powerful, very secure, and well designed. I will not go
> into a point by point debate.

Goo idea! Lets also ignore all Windows haters. I'm sure that plenty of
people will say that Windows is fast, secure and without bugs. :-)

No, I don't want to start a fight here. I admit, that I don't like qmail
and I *have* used it for years. I never hat security problems with it
either and what made me think about a different MTA was the fact that
qmail on ReiserFS was "undefined" - and I lost mail. The bad performance
result was something found by accident. But that wouldn't make any diff on
a private site.

> Second item, plesk is a very bad way to run qmail. You will get *no*
> help on the qmail list if you use the install on plesk. It is a modified
> version of qmail and the modifications are closed door, at least that is
> my understanding. So if you do not have an excellent understanding of
> Unix, and above average understanding of email, and good troubleshooting
> skills, you are in for a very rocky ride.

Well, as you say, the Plesk version of qmail sucks (on which we agree) and
therefore administration should bei done without Plesk (we agree on that
too) then the OP might as well stay with Postfix and just dump Plesk.

Are we in agreement? :-)

Regards,
Chris