stdout -determining size of??

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Mon Sep 24 05:37:24 PDT 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007 13:09:56 David Southwell wrote:
> On Saturday 22 September 2007 12:00:41 Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Sep 22), David Southwell said:
> > > How is the the size of stdout controlled.
> > >
> > > My query comes about because I had a shell running for ages with
> > > unlimited history and found it had gobbled uyp all the space available
> > > to stdout!!!
> >
> > Could you provide the error message that made you think that stdout has
> > a limit?  "stdout" could be anything: tty, socket, pipe, file, etc.  If
> > you have redirected stdout from a script to a file, like "ls > ls.txt",
> > then it's possible that you filled up a filesystem.
>
> Here is what made me ask the question:
> ------------------------------
> Weekly output report:
>
> Cleaning up kernel database files:
>
> Rebuilding locate database:
> locate.code: stdout: No space left on device

Locate uses environment variable TMPDIR or /tmp if unset to build it's
database. KDE uses /tmp/kde-$USER for some light-weight temporary files, I'm
99% sure Konsole's history is memory only, which is why I've set it to 1000
lines rather then the default unlimited (Settings -> History), because it can
consume a very large ammount of memory.
I'm thinking you ran outof swap or /tmp was full and then clearing Konsole's
history is either a coincidence or Konsole stores history in /tmp/kde-$USER
(allthough it doesn't on my machine).

--
Mel