Gnome & FreeBSD from putty

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sun Sep 23 10:33:38 PDT 2007

On Sunday 23 September 2007 18:54:28 dgmm wrote:
> On Sunday 23 September 2007, Maxim Khitrov wrote:
> > Not true. Install Cygwin/X on your local machine
> > (http://x.cygwin.com/), configure PuTTY to forward X11 packets, login
> > to the server and run firefox. Depending on your exact configuration,
> > you may need to tinker with the settings a bit. Usually, however, it
> > works with no additional effort.
>
> Agreed!
>
> As a complete noob to running remote apps, I had it going in minutes from a
> WinXP laptop with putty/cygwin/X.  As you say, just tick/check the X11
> forwarding box in Putty.

Sure that works. As you can also take a plane to visit the neighbors.

> Although the OP mentioned Gnome.  Not sure if you could run a whole desktop
> over it or even if that would be desirable.

If you're on a local network, it can be convenient to control the entire
desktop in the few cases where programs can only be controlled via GUI, but
for configuring a few web-enabled interfaces, it will take you 10 times
longer then just forwarding the control port and using a local browser.

Aside from that, last time I tried (a few years back), at least the window
manager needs to be installed locally for truly forwarded X11 connections,
you can't be logged in under X as that user on the remote machine and by the
time I had cygwin setup and working, I would've configured cups 3 times over
on the remote machine, using a simple port forward.
--
Mel