migrate from postfix to qmail

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Sun Sep 23 04:07:11 PDT 2007

freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org said Obscurity in the face
of adversity is no dice and while we were trying to figure that
out on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 20:47 he continued with:

> Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:46:02 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Christian Baer <christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de>
> Subject: Re: migrate from postfix to qmail

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 02:47:09 +0200 Lotfi kecir wrote:

> > hello. i'm newbbie in Unix especially in in FreeBSD. Recently
> > i have setup one mail server with postfix-dovecot and i would
> > like to migrate it to Qmail server. but i didn't know how to
> > do it. Someone can give help me?

> Why in heaven's name would *anyone* want to do that? I have been
> using Postfix for years now and before that I used qmail - when
> it was new. qmail sucked *bigtime*! It was slow, picky about
> the filesystem it worked on (ReiserFS cause very interresting
> results), a license that doesn't deserve the name and one
> mistake in the configuration didn't cause an error message but
> instead sent incoming mail directly to the happy bit grounds.

Don't I recall that when a mail is sent to several people at
the same domain that qmail generates separate emails for each
person instead of the standard way of sending one email with all
addresses to the destination machine and letting that machine
distribute the emails.

That's just bizarre - unles you own the transport provider and make
money on all the data transmitted :-(

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com