How to know who use NFS.

Martin Alejandro Paredes Sanchez mapsware at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Sep 23 00:41:40 PDT 2007

El Vie 21 Sep 2007, Albert Shih escribió:
>  Le 21/09/2007 à 13:59:35-0500, Dan Nelson a écrit
> > >
> > > With some info student it also happen some times in here, and the way i
> > > find is to launch a tcpdum or ethereal on the server and look at which
> > > ip appear the more often
> >
> > I think ethereal/wireshark is your best bet too.  At least with it you
> > can filter on the userid making an NFS request (it's rpc.auth.uid).
> > Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's a summary or analysis option
> > for NFS, so you'll have to count packets maually...
>
> But my problem is the NFS traffic is heavy in standard time, and wireshark
> or tcpdump give my lot of lot of data.

Use the force luke

You only need 100 packets (you may decide to increase) that are directed to
your server, to the NFS daemon.

tcpdump -c 100 -nq dst port nfs and dst host $HOST

You don't need to interpret this info, you need to know who is originating the
traffic, lets extract the ip that are originating the traffic

nawk 'BEGIN {FS="[ .]"; OFS="."} {print $4,$5,$6,$7}'

But, who generate more traffic?
Lets count how many packets are originating each one of those ip

nawk '{packets[$1]++} END{for (ip in packets){print packets[ip], ip}}'

And order it

sort -rn

Use pipes to connect all the commands, if this situation is very common,
create a shell.

HTH
maps